Thankful Thursdays

How do we fix what’s broken? I came across a quote the other day that states, “If it moves but shouldn’t: Duct tape. If it doesn’t move but should: WD-40. These two items cover all of your needs. Everything else in science is secondary.”

Pretty good. If only it were that simple to fix what’s broken in society today. For starters, there is so much indifference. So where to begin? Improving social skills, maybe?

My mother was a stickler for manners. She thought 3% of bad manners were forgivable, the other 97% not so much. My siblings and I were taught that saying “please” and “thank you” is a must; that a greeting is a must; that a thank-you note is a must; that holding the door for others is a must…and the list goes on.

On a daily, I encounter people who don’t initiate or reciprocate, and I remember arguing with Mom about having to do it when others don’t. She would say, “Porque yo no te enseñé a ser mal educada.” Because I didn’t teach you to be rude. So yes, if we cross paths I am going to acknowledge you, whether with a smile, a wave, a nod, a hello, a good morning or a hey. Some times I’m not going to want to because you never do, but Mom taught me better.

Can good manners diffuse hostility and grind down nastiness? I believe so. Wow, what a concept! Imagine that.

For the lessons of our parents, today and always I am thankful.

What are you thankful for today?

Until next Thursday’s post…si Dios quiere.

“A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
-R.A. Heinlein

“If it moves but shouldn’t: Duct tape. If it doesn’t move but should: WD-40. These two items cover all of your needs. Everything else in science is secondary.”
-Andy Weir

 

Comments

Thankful Thursdays — 7 Comments

  1. Good one. Definitely important to keep in mind in this society. Now more than ever.

  2. Awesome post. We must thank our parents. They were the greatest!!!!!

  3. “If you can’t say or do something nice….don’t say or do anything at all.” I can’t remember who said this, but it has stuck with me all of my life! Boop

  4. I love this blog!!!!! The CDL rocks. Thanks, amiga, on point como siempre. Much love to you all.

  5. Reminds of Proverb 15:1 “A gentle response defuses anger” Something so much easier said than done. With God’s help we can muster up and be courteous even if there is never a response. Ughhh! \