When we least expect it, we may be presented with a set of circumstances that makes it possible to do something. Do we act on it, or do we pass? That’s not always a clear-cut choice. But I think when opportunity comes knocking, we should at least open the door. And, if it’s dressed like a challenge, I say invite it to dinner, because it’s about to get interesting.
Today’s post is dedicated to our son, Daniel, as he heads out to Fort Worth to jump on his latest opportunity. We’re proud of you, kiddo. Although I must say you already have a lot of these rules down, in true parental fashion, here’s a reminder:
RULES TO TEACH YOUR SON
1. Never shake a man’s hand sitting down.
2. Don’t enter a pool by the stairs.
3. The man at the BBQ Grill is the closest thing to a king.
4. In a negotiation, never take the first offer.
5. Request the late check-out.
6. When entrusted with a secret, keep it.
7. Hold your heroes to a higher standard.
8. Return a borrowed car with a full tank of gas.
9. Play with passion or don’t play at all.
10. Always protect your siblings.
11. Don’t let a wishbone grow where a backbone should be.
12. If you need music on the beach, you’re missing the point.
13. Carry two handkerchiefs. The one in your back pocket is for you. The one in your breast pocket is for her.
14. You marry the girl, you marry her family.
15. Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath.
16. Experience the serenity of traveling alone.
17. Never turn down a breath mint.
18. A sport coat is worth 1000 words.
19. Try writing your own eulogy. Never stop revising.
20. Stand on principle.
21. Eat lunch with the new kid.
22. After writing an angry email, read it carefully. Then delete it.
23. Ask your mom to play. She won’t let you win.
24. Manners maketh the man.
25. Give credit. Take the blame.
26. Stand up to Bullies. Protect those bullied.
27. Write down your dreams.
28. Remember at times the rain must fall for us to appreciate the sun.
29. Be confident and humble at the same time.
30. Be the bridge builder.
31. Call your mother every day. [I added this one.]
32. If ever in doubt, remember you are the SON of the most high (ours too!) and REFUSE to just be ordinary!
Good luck, Danny! We love you to infinity and beyond! ❤️🚀
For the opportunities God sends our way, and the vision to pursue them, today and always I am thankful.
What are you thankful for today?
Until next Thursday’s post…si Dios quiere.
“Not knowing when the dawn will come,
I open every door.”
“Let me tell ya. You gotta pay attention to signs. When life reaches out with a moment like this it’s a sin if you don’t reach back… I’m telling you.”
“Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.”